Monday, August 29, 2011

Tour De Bath Products

Ah, a seemingly fleeting line of body lotions, shower gels, and moisturizing body sprays in three fragrances: Thai Paradise, African Rhythm and French Kiss. I fell in love with my African Rhythm body spray in spring of '10 and quickly used half of it. Then when I went back to get more a few weeks later, they were all gone! I have only seen the body spray one other time, a month or so later at a different dollar store, and I bought it. It must have been so popular because it really does moisturize. One of the main ingredients is glycerin, which is a bit sticky wet but moisturizes nicely when dry. This was the first time I'd really liked a Dollar Tree fragrance, and I was very happy last winter when I stumbled upon what seemed like a stash of Tour De Bath shower gels and body lotions- but of course, no body sprays- at the biggest Dollar Tree I had ever been at. I went overboard and bought the African Rhythm shower gels that still had the seal intact and the lotions that weren't gooky around the cap- like, almost all of them. I also picked up two each of the Thai Paradise and French Kiss body washes.

Since that fateful day when I discovered that there were still Tour De Bath products in Dollar Trees, it seems like I find them whenever I go to a Dollar Tree I hadn't been to in a while. I picked up about six more bottles of the stuff in varying fragrances (I really like Thai Paradise as a shower gel and hand cream, and though I have yet to experiment with French Kiss I love the fragrance).

Now, some of you will be quick to point out that the products have been sitting on the shelves for over a year by now. And you have a point. So far I had one African Rhythm shower gel that turned and smelled like plastic or something, and I am pretty sure other products have faded. So reaching into my stash is a little like playing Russian Roulette. But I say bring it on. After all, even if only half smell good I still have enough to last me for months. And because I do have a stock, if one turns out to be a lemon I don't regret that I didn't buy more, and I can use them without thinking I will never have another one. I'm usually not a stocker-upper, but since now I have no job I'm glad I did. In this economy, stocking up with enough cheap products to keep you going for a few months is a good idea, an idea I will probably reiterate many times on this blog.

Update: I realized I did not describe how good these products work. The shower gel foams very well when used with a pouf and you can get a good, pretty lasting lather out of a quarter size (if you use soap to shave your legs or another big body part [back] you'll probably need another quarter for a nice lather). They are fragrant but not overpowering. The body lotions are smooth and stay on relatively well through most first time and some second time hand washings. They do not "ball up" if you use a lot like the lotions in Wal-Mart's gift baskets and other inexpensive lotions I have tried. I like to keep one by my desk and keep my hands (and lips, with lipgloss of course) moist and soft. It's a comfort thing for me. I can put multiple layers of the lotion on and it will not get gooky. The lotion, I think because it is old, has a subtle scent compared to Bath and Body Works. This works for me because I do not like my hand lotion scent to compete with my perfume. These are also nice if your work does not allow strong perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment